Andrew offers a variety of presentations and programs for schools, the parent community, families and corporate bodies.
The Rite Journey –Â our ‘flagship’ year-long program in which staff are trained to facilitate the year long journey.
Student Presentations – these are typically are offered as either 90 min, 2 hour or half day sessions. The presentations below are more suited to year 10, 11 and 12 students.
- âAdulting – Itâs time to Step Upâ – As our students approach the age of 18 it is time for us to explore what being an adult is all about.Â Whilst every Indigenous culture has a process for initiating their adults in the west we need to have some decent conversations about âadultingâ!
âA lot of us are told we need to grow up, but no one ever tells us how. Thank you for talking about and demonstrating the âhowâ.â Year 11 student, Cabra Dominican College, SA
- âSex, Relationships and Gender in the age of Pornâ – This presentation was created following a school receiving a letter from ex students asking them to include âmore comprehensive and progressive education on issues surrounding sex and consentâ. This presentation helps our young people to navigate the complex world of sexualisation, pornography and gender in which they live.
âThe session was insightful, I particularly enjoyed JD and Andrew, they did a very impressive job of connecting with a lot of the boys who may not usually contribute.â Â Year 10 student, Radford College, ACT
Other than The Rite Journey school program and its associated implementation program for staff Andrew also offersÂ staff professional development sessions/daysÂ which can range from one hour to a whole day.
- âConnecting with todayâs studentsâ Workshop â Andrew draws on the success of The Rite Journey methodologies to help teachers find new ways of engaging students in their classes. Â A practical experience of ways in which we can actually connect with our students and take their learning to a deeper level.
- âConnecting with adolescent boysâ Workshop– Andrew has successfully been meeting adolescent boysâ needs in schools for 20 years. He can not only share the theory behind boysâ behaviours but also provide a whole host of practical responses that teachers can take up.
- âAn Education in Manhoodâ Presentation–Â Our western culture has lost a number of powerful tools for transforming boys into good, strong men.Â Andrew has discovered over his 20 years of teaching that there are a number of essential experiences and learnings that a school can provide to make a positive difference to their boysâ transition into a respectful, responsible and resilient beginning manhood, the results of which can ultimately transform school culture.
Feedback from Andrewâs âAn Education in Manhoodâ presentation:
âWeâve had 42 responses from our online survey regarding your presentation âAn Education in Manhoodâ at our âWhatâs happening to our boys?â teacher seminar and your average rating was 8.9/10. To give you a benchmark, Steve Biddulph rated 9.1! Very close. 48% rated your session 10/10. Thank you so much for your contribution to the event, the attendees clearly got a lot out of it.â â Booked Out Speakers Agency
- âRites of passage in schoolsâ Presentation– Having worked with rites of passage over many years Andrew is able to draw on a myriad of experiences to share with schools a host of options as to how to best go about celebrating and honouring their studentsâ transition points.
- âTeaching from the heartâ Presentation or Workshop – In an educational landscape where the importance of performance in academic tests is paramount, social and emotional learning and well-being is typically pushed to the back seat. To create resilient, emotionally intelligent, connected young people we need to have teachers who are courageous enough to teach from the heart.
- âHabits of Heartâ Workshop – A practical workshop which showcases âHabits of Heartâ – a set of 16 emotional dispositions which, when explicitly taught, encourage the development of emotional literacy. (www.habitsofheart.com)
Feedback from Andrewâs âHabits of Heartâ workshop:
“Fun, clear and so relevant to ourÂ students in today’s age. This is whatÂ is needed to help students surviveÂ the technology age.âÂ Kate Taylor, St Andrews College,Â Christchurch
- âGetting Students Sharingâ – One of the roadblocks to fostering connection with students, helping grow their EQ, building resilience and nurturing their emotional and social wellbeing can be the difficulty they have in expressing their deeper thoughts and emotions.Â To help students to connect with themselves, their feelings and more ably express their inner experience, Andrew has created a selection of resources. This practical workshop will showcase these resources, as well as a selection of others, and provide teachers with a host of activities in which they can engage their students as well as build relationships, connection, emotional literacy, wellbeing and resilience.
Feedback from Andrewâs âGetting students sharingâ workshop:
âAndrew thank you for coming to work with teachers in Catholic Education SA to share the ManMade Toolbox and other resources. The teachers were enthusiastic about the possibilities they could see with your resources. Your workshop and resources gave us some real insight into how we can invite young people to go deeper with their thoughts, feelings, values and beliefs.âÂ
Feedback from Andrewâs Teacher Presentations and Workshops:
âAndrew was an amazing speaker, best workshop ever.â
âGreat day,Â Andrew was simply brilliant, loved what he had to offerÂ and a great presenter.âÂ
âThe first PD that I have walked away energised and not exhausted. I canât wait to get started with the students.âÂ Rachael Turnbull, Head of Year 7 â 12 Curriculum, St Peterâs Lutheran College, Qld
âLoved it! Wish every teacher could learn about how best to engage their students with your wealth of knowledge. Â Thank you.âÂ Megan Wood, Teacher, Eastern Fleurieu School, SA
âExcellent PD â probably the best I have done in years âÂ very relevant / enlightening / empowering. It was so good to be able to spend time with other committed teachers / practitioners â this is really going to be awesome for our kids.âÂ Tracy Quirk, Teacher,Â Nga Tawa DiocesanÂ College, NZ
âIt was actually an insightful, inspiring and enjoyable couple of days getting to learn more about colleagues, on top of learning how to work with students.â Grace Gowers, Teacher, St Columba College, SA
âReally enjoyed the training and the delivery. Â Andrewâs presentation and style was great and inspirational. Thank you.â Â Bruce Edwards, Chaplain, Harvest Christian School, SA
âAbsolutely brilliant. Â Thanks Andrew. Â I hope I get the opportunity toÂ teach this ASAP. Â If not I will definitely use some of the methodologies with my students in other classes.â Sam Diassinas, Teacher, Immanuel College, SA
âThank you. Â The Rite Journey is an incredible program that positively impacts the lives of adolescents in our care. I have thoroughly enjoyed learning about the teaching methodologies.â Kate Kilpatrick, Deputy Principal, St Markâs College, Port Pirie, SA
âFantastic! It isÂ evident there is a passion here and I appreciate the time andÂ program.âÂ Jessica Hannon, Director of Junior Curriculum, St PaulâsÂ College,Â NSW
âThe training really equipped me well for The Rite Journey classes but I feel it has helped my teaching in general. Â Thanks so much!âÂ Rebecca Brown, Teacher, Nga Tawa DiocesanÂ College, NZ
“All is buzzing here with the memories of that wonderful presentation two weeks ago, Andrew. You made an impact and touched lives.Â There is much discussion about the possibilities for next year.” Greg Hay, principal, St Mark’s College.
Andrew is also available to consult with schools who wish to devise their own program/Rite of Passage experience for their students.
For dads and male mentors:
Andrew offers both groups workshops and individual coaching for men who are keen to offer an individual, tailored Rite of passage process for the boy in their life.
- âCreating a Rite of Passage for your Boyâ WorkshopÂ – designed for fathers/uncles/grandfathers/mentors to help them create a Rite of Passage process to usher their son/nephew/boy into a responsible, respectful and resilient manhood. Andrew has completed this process with each of his two sons, and will draw on this experience, as well as his work with hundreds of teachers and thousands of young people over the past 15 years, to distil the main elements which he believes make for a powerful, transformative and supportive experience for a boyâs âinitiationâ into a western 21st Century manhood. Andrew will explain the âwhyâ, share elements of the journey he created for his sons and then provide participants with a template and time to craft an experience for their own boy.
Feedback from Andrewâs âCreating a Rite of Passage for your Boyâ Workshop:
âThe most important 3 hours I have spent for years (or maybe in my lifetime).â
âI can recommend Andrewâs workshop to any father, uncle or grandfather.â
âAndrew took us through a much neglected part of raising boys to be men with clarity, humour andÂ candour.â
- ‘Being better for our boys’– this weekend program is a transformational process for men who wish to explore their own selves as a way of developing into a better father for their son, or mentor to the boys in their community. It’s success lies in providing activities, conversation and ceremony to deepen men’s understanding of their own boyhood and manhood…as well as an honouring process. The weekend also helps men create a process for taking the boy/s in their life through a rite of passage. The program is hosted by Rite Journey Facilitators and can be run in any state with a minimum of 8 men.
Having fathered 2 daughters, 2 sons and 3 step-sons, Andrew has a wealth of stories and practical experiences to draw on when speaking to parents about conscious, intentional parenting.Â He is passionate about working with parents of children of all ages, helping them create a family culture that develops responsible, resilient, resourceful young adults.
His tailored presentations or workshops can run from 30 minutes to 3 hours and topics can include:
- âGraduating Responsibility in our Childrenâ – The topic of a book that Andrew is currently working on, this workshop explores how we can develop our children into responsible, respectful, resilient young adults by consciously crafting experiences and expectations for our children.
- âParenting Teensâ – Andrew explores how things are for teens in the 21st century and what we, as parents, can do to help develop responsible, respectful, resilient young adults.
- âRites of passage, ceremony and celebration in family lifeâ – A workshop on how reverence, building a family culture and acknowledging life moments can transform family life.
âAs parents of an adolescent boy we welcomed Andrewâs honest, frank and informative session on raising boys in the 21st Century.Â We sat as a group of parents sharing our stories of joy, despair and admiration of our sons.Â Under Andrewâs exceptional guidance, passion and knowledge we were able to openly discuss subjects that included sexuality, physical growth, boundaries and the effects of media and technology that influence our sonsâ lives.Â Andrew has given me useful ideas and suggestions that I am sure will be invaluable in guiding my son through this period of his life.â
We offerÂ a varied and challenging corporate programÂ which can run from a half day through to a 3 day experience (complete with the solo if wanting a real challenge). It again follows similar processes to the school staff program and incorporates physical, social, emotional and spiritual support, development and challenge.
The corporate Day/s explore the 4 themes relationship with self, relationship with others, relationship with Spirit and relationship with the world as a way of enriching employee connections in those 4 areas. The program can also involve some ‘rite of passage’ elements if required.
OUR RITE JOURNEY FRIENDS
We have a number of Rite Journey Friends who provide processes for parents and/or their children, some of which are run over one day and others which involve heading away for a number of days. Â Please feel free to check out their work below:
Andrew Lines – ManMade – Growing Great Men
Angela White, Andrew Lines – Habits of Heart
Darren Lewis – Fathering Adventures
Garry Thomson – Uplifting Australia
Will Dobud – True North Expeditions
Ewan Rourke – Kangaroo Island Manhood and Initiation Weekend
Jane Bennett – Workshops include ‘A Celebration Day for Girls’ and ‘Fathers Celebrating Daughters’